Sunday, February 8, 2009

Might as well make this a GBV blog

Pollard has so many side-projects and collaborations that keeping up with him can be exhausting. Boston Spaceships, Circus Devils, Airport Five, etc.. When I saw this Acid Ranch album in the New-USED bin at Cheaps Thrill. I was inquisitive to when it was pressed, it read 2007, so I assumed this was just another one of Bob's extensive and unceasing body of work.

I got home and while making supper I went on GBVDB.com to look it up. Feeling shameful of my ignorance for the Pollard catalogue, which I had canonized towards my own taste up to recently, when I dabbled in the odd unreleased repress of this or that. I have the Superman Was A Rocker thing, it's okay has some jams...

But anyway, getting back to THIS album, there is only one guitar and sometimes back-up vocals, quite a few instrumentals, where Mitch's guitar is fuzzing back and forth over the same riff. Bob's voice is a bit rough, his pop-chorus potential is lagging, some songs start off strong but never quite catch on in their briefness. Overall it's like under produced psychedelia. But it is a bit of a novelty, to hear something pre-GBV, I have a feeling that is why it was re-released in 2007.

Plus the chance to use that cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers